Re: [MV] Cool vehicle on Ebay

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 22:08:42 PDT

> If someone bought that thing, how could they actually transport it
anywhere without breaking all kinds of > laws? I don't think it is truckable

I can't speak to modern laws, however I remember seeing a 'landing craft'
tooling along the south shore highway of Long Island a number of times in
the mid 70's as a kid. My folks would load us into the 1960 Willeys
jeep/wagon and head for West Hampton ( I understand they have paved roads
and parking lots now. (!!!!) ) I do NOT recall these things taking up
two lanes... But do recall them repeatedly ( to me ) poking down the
highway on the right, then pulling up just shy of the water... making a
number of changes to the internal configuration of the vehicle, then
driving into the water. Almost invariably, the engines on it would die
just as they tried to enter the strong current between West Hampton and
Fire Island... and the vehicle would be bashed on the rocks then drift
until the Coast Guard could arrive to help.
But that was what caught me about the EBay ad: 20' wide??? I'd have to win
3 or 4 lotteries to afford a place with enough beach side access to launch
and recover ( drive uphill? ) the vehicle.

FWIW: No matter what the logistical or legal problem, a landing craft on a
public road/beach is just plain fun to watch.

                Paul