RE: [MV] Reenactor/Living Historian

From: Maxwell, David J IS2(SW) (VFA87) (maxwelldj@vfa87.navy.mil)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 12:33:52 PDT

I have been reading all your postings, and think it is a very interesting
topic.
         I have active duty Navy for the past 10+ years. I have seen many
reenactor do demonstrations on our bases, and even on our ships. I have
seen B-17s, C-47s, P-38s, P-51s,B-25s,all kinds of Jeeps and Tanks, Trucks
from German to Russian to WWI. I have learned so much from these guys. I
enjoyed all the talks I had with each and every one. In the world I live and
work in, a fast paced, high tech ever moving forward Navy, see the old stuff
really makes me think about how I should wear my uniform. I see the
sacrifices, and when I look into the eyes of a VET telling me the story of
when he and his fire party put out a fire from a Kamikaze, and he sees that
I am really listening...I am grateful for all those that served before me.
You reenactors bridge the gap between today and yesterday. I want to thank
you guys for showing us active duty guys what it was like back then. We
know what it is like today, you guys are the historians we learn from, the
experts. I could care less if someone was a VET or not. I just want to
learn.

     As far as the wearing of the uniform. I agree with some points others
have made. I have seen some things at conventions that have upset me. THen
I come back to work the next day and see a 18 year old seaman that looks
like he just fell out of the back of some ones ass. We have the types you
don't like here also. The lack of military discipline in uniform. I know
what that is like, I deal with that daily. Mabey that adds to the whole
experience. In the navy we have our shitbags and our squared away sailors.
I am sure it it the same in all the branches from the civil war to today.

    I look forward to talking with you guys in the future.
Very respectfully,

IS2(SW)Maxwell
INTEL/OPS
VFA-87