Re: [MV] Working radios in MV's

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 23:26:59 PDT

I have considered it. Lowering the mic gain would do for TX.

For RX, the audio gain could be increased to compensate for less output from the discriminator. It is a more complicated problem overall, as I think the SNR would be lowered due to the broad bandwidth
of the IF stages. 5KHz of signal in a 15KHz window. A NB filter could be added, but at what oddball frequency? (I can look them up, but it's probably moot)

Fortunately, the regs don't prohibit wideband FM as far as I can find, and others have looked up, they just discourage it's unnecessary use. In the case of a PRC-77 or RT246, I am using the minimum
possible bandwidth, for that rig. I don't want to chop up a $300 or $450 antique radio either.

I suggest that avoidance of interference with other stations would be the thing to do. The repeater handbook would be a good start for convoys, but I realize that the DX operators are out there too.