Re: [MV] What turbo is used on M54A2?

From: jalberhasky@juno.com
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 06:12:45 PDT

It is confusing! I have seen many 5 ton LDS engines with what seems to
be M-35 turbos on them. The LDS 465-1/A, LDS 465-2 should have a
waste-gated turbo on it. All the older 5 tons (from the factory) have a
physically larger compressor side on them, as compared to the M-35
turbo's, and are rated at 450 CFM. ( 550 CFM for the M-656 LDS ) To
get the extra CFM, they must have had the boost turned up a tad on them,
but with no intercooler and the added fuel rate, 12-14 lbs would have
been the limit without melting the pistons down. Who knows??? As you
previously said, the multifuel engines are pretty much the same inside
with the exception of pistons, injection pump fuel rate, and with your
m 656, the exhaust rocker arms. They have an extra oiler hole on the end
to help cool the valve. Maybe the depots, during later rebuilds, were
just sticking what was laying around on them???? Sounds like you may have
a 1A in your 8x8 (or a hybrid). Jeff On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:29:32
-0400 tom-nooneofconsequence <milveh@carr.org> writes:
> i found this confusing, but my 5 ton m-656 has the highest output
> lds
> engine made and it has the same turbo as a m-35, and on top of that
> whistles.
> tom

> <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

Jeff Alberhasky aka . SGT. ROCK MVPA 25554
US ARMY/USAR 25J/76Y 73-93
1985 AM General M-35A2
1968 M-105A1
2000 FXDL 1975 XL (1986 AMRA UBXL National record holder)