Surging idle on Dodge WC54

From: Les Flack (lflack@thrupoint.net)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 11:19:29 PDT

Hi There,

    When filling up with gas before a show in my WC54 Dodge I noticed that
some clown had pushed half a bag of potato chips down the filler cap. I
pulled out what I could and carried on with the journey, 10 miles later she
started to misfire while cruising at about 40mph. When I slowed down things
got worse until she stalled and I had to keep restarting. I made it to the
show but the misfire was real bad and there was quite a bit of black smoke.
A couple of guys kindly helped investigate and it seems that after the top
of the Zenith carb was dismantled things seemed to improve. We werent sure
but it looked as if the accelorator (?) pump clip had come off. The black
smoke dissapeared along with the misfire but now I am left with a
significant idle surge.
   Not sure if the chips are significant as there is a good fuel filter in
line before the fuel pump. Anyone any idea as to what is causing the idle
surge now?

regards

Les