Re: [MV] M38A1 Fuel Pump Question

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@juno.com)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 21:04:32 PST

Muttguru, HFDCOMPANY45, RAM, & List,

My M38A1 has a glass bowl top. I am putting on an all metal dual action
pump. It has been rebuilt with modern diaphragms. It is clean,
seems correctly hooked up, Correct spacer has been installed. If it was
a stuck float, I would have fuel in the line. Disconnected from the carb
it is not pumping gas.

This is the first time the dry, rebuilt fuel pump has been installed.
It will not pump gas. I tried to slowly pour gas down into the line,
to fill the fuel pump, thinking it would prime the pump, but the gas will
not go in. The inlet line is a problem & I had hoped I would not have
to open it again.

Question: Ref # 3. The actuating lever when moved while I was
rebuilding the fuel pump, moved a small pin up & down. It did not seem
to do anything. Was this incorrect ??? I was told it is a
priming system, but it does nothing.

TM 9 - 1828A FUEL PUMPS Manual, Figure 52, Page 100 does not show
any actuating lever nor refer to it. What am I missing.

--------

I used TM 9 - 8015 - 1 Figure 99, Page 134 as the reference for line
hookups. They seem to be correct.

--------

The normal pressure test shows pressure on the fuel half & Vacuum on
the bottom.

--------

My problem is to get gas into it.

Tom