Re: [MV] M38A1 Fuel Pump Question

From: Thomas M McHugh (tmmchugh@juno.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 06:03:13 PST

I rebuilt the pump using TM 9-1828A. The pump is an NOS pump & required
the new rubber to be used with modern gas. The pump was a gift from an
old NCO friend & I did not want to exchange it. Obviously , that should
have been the preferred action.

THE INLET IS TOWARDS THE RADIATOR.

The engine DOES RUN with the old glass top pump. The old pump vapor
locks once in a while, which is why I was replacing it.

The spacer for the pump is a take off from another M38A1. Mine had the
short shaft glass top pump & no spacer.

Question: Are there different thickness spacers ???

What manual has the priming lever shown ??? Anyone have a picture
or section that could be scanned or copied, to be sent ??? I had no
idea what it did, but did not modify that section. There is a short
shaft, about 1/4 inch, that sticks up, but, I do not know what it moves.
 Perhaps there is a missing part ???

Question: If the priming lever is inoperable, will the pump work ???

Thanks for the check valve info.

Tom