Welding M37 leaf springs?

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 21:18:57 PST

Has anybody had any experience with broken leaf springs that were welded as
a temporary fix?
My son's '53 M37, which we have been working on lately, had two broken
leafs, one left front and one right rear. Top leaf in both cases. I took
them to a local shop and asked if they could be welded. "Sure", the man
said. He bridged the break with a small piece of steel and got it done.
Well, spring steel is very hard to weld and consequently, it looks like hell
and who knows how well it will hold up. The wheels are still off the truck
and there is still a lot to finish before a test ride, so, meanwhile, I'm
presenting you with the question regarding the reliability of this kind of
fix. Anybody know?

I'm aware of the alternatives, getting new springs or getting new leaves,
but I usually end up doing things the unconventional way. Money (or lack
thereof)is often a factor.

Thanks for any input.

Bjorn

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN!