Re: [MV] M37 tow behind F-250 HD

From: Paul H. Anderson (pha@pdq.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 21:02:21 PST

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Dave Cole wrote:

> I'd definitely recommend a trailer. The U haul ones are quite strong.
> I'd avoid a dolley with an unknown vehicle.
>
> The F250 should have no problem with a Uhaul trailer.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

I got the M37 home (to my parent's place) today using my supercab 4x4
F-250 351 3.55 gears and a u-haul trailer.

I'd do it again for short distances (_maybe_ up to 200 miles), but I think
for longer distances, there has to be something better. A bigger trailer
or one with 8 ply tires would be more confidence inspiring.

The U-Haul trailer I used had only 4 ply tires (in good condition), and
was rated at 4000lbs.

I only had one serious pucker moment when I hit a sunken manhole cover,
and the M37 leaned way to one side, then to the other.

I think if I'd lost a tire on the trailer, that I'd lose the M37, the
trailer, and likely my truck.

Although my F-250 is no powerhouse, it did the job - the supercab, long
bed helps keep things going straight, and the 351 did well enough, even
with 3.55 gears. Gotta say, I'll never order 3.55 gears again. I think
it would have a real rough time with real hills - even little ones were a
bear to climb.

All in all, I'm glad I did it, but even more glad that I got home safely
(drove slow on back roads).

The M37 is beautiful. What an amazing piece of machinery. Of course, now
that it is mine, I can't start it... sigh... will look at ignition and
fuel tomorrow.

Paul