Re: [MV] single wheel duece

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 05:50:13 PST

If the tire pressure is the same you will have the same total contact area
for four tires as you would with eight tires, again the number of tires
doesn't matter. The number of tires determines the load carrying capacity of
the vehicle. If this is wrong, show me some numbers and I'll be quiet.
Cheers,
Bjorn

>From: "Renaud OLGIATI <rolgiati@conexion.com.py>"
><rolgiati@conexion.com.py>
>To: "Bjorn Brandstedt" <super_deuce@hotmail.com>, <mil-veh@mil-veh.org>
>(Military Vehicles Mailing List)
>Subject: Re: [MV] single wheel duece
>Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:14:48 -0300
>
>My mailbox was recently graced by a missive from Bjorn Brandstedt :
>
> > You are right in that the number of tires does not effect the traction,
>
>This, once again, depends on whether you are on cohesive soil or on
>frictional
>soil
>
>On frictional soil (sand) the tractive effort is independent of the aerea
>of
>contact, and the number of tyres wont matter.
>
>On cohesive soil (clay) the tractive effort is proportional to the surface
>of
>contact between tyre and ground, and there you want as many tyres as you
>can.
>On these soils you also want aggressive tugs on the tyres/track to as to
>stress not only the surface of the ground, but a layer below the surface;
>in
>turn the tractive effort will be proportional to the surface of this
>(below-surface) layer.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ron.
> -- http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati --

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.