Re: [MV] single wheel duece

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 09:30:40 PST

Rick,
To begin with, I may refer you to two articles in Military Vehicles Magazine
that address the single rear wheels subject. The May/June, 2000 issue
explains how the conversion is done by flipping the hubs over (The title
states that the single configuration is more stable, which is not correct,
by the way) and the October, 2001 issue, which covers the driving on slopes
abilities of the deuce with duals and singles.

If, or when, you convert to singles, get the wheels that will give you a
wider track width instead of using the same wheels that you have now. With
those wheels your track width will be 72 inches front and rear compared to
68 (front) and 81 (rear) with duals.

The theoretical tip-over angle for the dual configuration is 47 degrees (not
%) and for the singles configuration it is 40 degrees. That is for an empty
vehicle in both cases.
The recommended maximum slope for both vehicles is about 18 degrees (30%).

Your ground clearance will increase by two inches.

Driving empty, you will have slightly less traction in the rear due to the
reduction of weight (about 300 lb).

Because of a narrower track width you will experience a slightly tighter
turning radius. On grass I measured a reduction in curb-to-curb turning
circle of 15 feet, but it depends on traction a lot.
The vehicle will have less of a tendency to "snowplow" on slippery surfaces.

Traction in mud or snow is improved when all wheels are in line.

Using chains gives you a tremendous amount of confidence when driving in
snow or mud. I highly recommend that they are used. Driving in 12 inches of
snow on a 20% incline is no problem at all with chains installed. Tire
pressure is kept at highway pressure when using chains, no need to air down.

With singles, it is wise to carry a spare, something I never worried about
with the duals, although the 1100 hundred tires are 12 ply vs the 900's
,which are 8 ply.

This is a summary of pros and cons of the singles configuration. I have been
driving with singles for about 3 years now and I'm still using the 900x20
tires. Getting good 1100x20 tires with chains and a speedometer adapter is
in my less urgent section of the to-do list.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Have a great day!

Bjorn