Re: [MV] light switch short

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 04:19:50 PST

Hi Cor,
Check for shorts in other places before replacing the switch. The 3-lever
switch itself houses a circuit breaker, but would probably not open unless
there was a short external to it. The contacts may get tarnished in time, in
which case the best thing to do is to replace the switch. To test, use an
Ohm meter and check resistance between inputs and outputs on the switch.
All the pins on the connector are labeled, unscrew the large connector and
remove the four screws holding the switch.
On the back of the switch locate terminal "F", that is the 24V supply. Place
one probe of your VOM on terminal "F" and the other on terminal "M", which
is your headlight. With the front levers in the proper position for Head
Lights "ON", check the resistance. If it is more than a fraction of one Ohm,
then the contacts may be tarnished and I would recommend that the switch be
replaced. It can be taken apart and cleaned but it's your time.
If you need more help, let me know.
Cheers,
Bjorn