Leaf Spring Rebound Clips

From: ET Lance-Gómez (etlance@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 17:00:37 PST

Recently I mailed the list to ask if anyone knew where I could obtain rebound clips for the front leaf springs on my M715. The 2 back sets
had either broken or were ready to break. Noone had any, though many recommended a spring shop, which is a very good alternative. However,
I live in a small town and the local spring shop had closed about 1 yr ago.

I went to plan B and made some. Actually I had some made for me. I am blessed as I know a first-class machinist, who is also the head
instructor of machining and auto tech at one of the local high schools. He was kind enough to make the 4 clips I needed. These clips are
of the wraparound type and a tab on one end is then fitted thru a slot on the other end and then bent over to make it tight.

This has worked very well. I removed a clip and used it as a model to make bends in the new clip. Then fit this over the spring using the
original rubber pad, I was able using C-clamps and hammers (including pneumatic) to finish wrapping the clip tightly around the springs and
cinching the tab thru the slot.

The new clips are 1/8" metal where the old appear to be 3/32". However, to make the bends we used std hot-rolled, as cold-rold cracks on
bending. So the xtra thickness ensures adequate strength. The size is nothing special. 1" wide by the appropriate length. Anyone could
make these even with hand tools. The slot is square and this could be drilled and then squared with saws and files. In my case, a square
punch was used, but that is the elegant way.

I post this in case anyone is interested and may have the need to do a similar job in the future. Pls do email back if you want more
details.
TED