Re: [MV] Sort of MV related

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 20:11:23 PST

Here is a suggestion that might work. I thought about this the other day while
planning a project, but I haven't actualy tried it.

Get a 3/8" carbide drill that has a 4 foot shank, or weld some rod on to the
end of a normal size shank,
Then make multiple holes in the area where you are going to use the auger. Then
try using the auger. If that doesn't work, you might pour water into the holes
first and let it soak for a bit to get it soft. Depending on the soil
composition this might work against you, so experiment.

Good luck and let us know how it worked.

Another idea would be to get some plastic and make some small charges and push
it down a pilot hole to loosen everything up. Start REAL SMALL!

One more idea that might help. Get three poles and make a teepee type rig to
suspend the auger with block and tackle and help as a guide, Then get a 20' 2x
10, anchor one end solidly in all directions but one, but so that the other end
can go up and down,
attach the auger about one third from the other end. Attach weights to the
other end as you drill to help the auger dig in. Then apply the two gorillas
and see what happens.

Bruce MVPA 23824