[MV] Sort of MV related

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 17:42:31 PST

Sorry to go near off topic:

I'm trying to finish the area I've dug out of my back yard hill to park my
deuce. Doing it by shovel / wheelbarrow as the deuce is in the way of any
equipment which might help ( not running or stopping yet) and $ is for the
deuce, not for things I can do by myself :) .
I was hoping to get the 3' tall retaining wall in b4 the rains hit but ran
into a problem. I have a 5 hp hole digger with the normal Auger bits you
get with it.. these bits apparently are intended for soil. I am working in
a white chalky with red clay soil. Two 250 lb guys basically sitting /
rocking the Auger for an hour managed to get 1.5 ft into the soil, two
nights in a row: thus I'm at 3' on the first hole. (sigh)

I've checked Grainger and a number of links on the web. It appears that
bits intended for Clay soil do exist, however only for tractor mounted
Augers or larger.

Has anybody run into this problem and found a solution which allows you to
do 10" or 12" holes 4' deep using a two man Auger?

Thanks for any thoughts.

             Paul
        MVPA 24986
        '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion