Bad things in crankcase

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 17:23:16 PST

I've been following the thread on dormant and stuck engines. I have a mule
engine that the fuel pump failed on about a year ago, dumping gasoline in
the crankcase.

What experiences have any of you had with something like this? Would the rod
bearings be ruined? What would be the best way to repair this engine, after
replacing the fuel pump? Should I fill it with oil and let set a while
before doing anything else?

Also, a guy I know who has restored some John Deere tractors says you can
unstick pistons by pouring the cylinders full of rubbing alcohol. He
mentioned this one day during old equipment chat, don't remember all the
details. I'll check with him again. I sent a post to the list about this,
but I don't think it went through.

Thanks,
Keith