Shipping a "tank" Maurizio

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 06:35:01 PST

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
In reference to Maurizio's question, the "tank" he's referring to is likely
a oxygen or acetylene tank, NOT likely Armor (Especially with "Air"
shipping....)

Maurizio, check with the Postal authorities for your country. Scuba Divers
ship tanks regularly, but I think they have to either remove the valve, or
get an inspection certificate that they are "OPEN" to the atmosphere to
prevent pressure problems and possible explosion "in-flight" or during a
fire, etc.

Remember, the Florida Everglades "Value-Jet" crash a few years back was
shipping "spent" canisters in the hold which were not expended, and these
caught fire, causing the crash. The ONLY one I'd trust to tell you the
actual procedure IS the Postal or Airline your contracting with.

I recently bought a pressurized fire extinguisher tank from WWII Germany,
which had a hole drilled in the side, AND the valve removed. Overkill, but
then I wasn't planning on fighting any fires with a 60 year old museum
piece......
Regards
W. Winget
The Home page: http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html
MVPA # 7119
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX