Re: [MV] Kroil

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 07:16:19 PST

Kroil is pretty cheap direct and I've never seen it in stores. Read the fine print though as there is an acidic component in Kroil that helps break down rust. It
works as well if not better than any other penetrating lube I've used, but you need to get it rinsed out after you are done or else it will keep eating away. That
could be very bad if you dumped a quart of Kroil into an engine trying to break free the pistons and left if there for several weeks or months.

I used it to help break free a frozen air compressor cylinder. Still, I ended up disassembling the compressor and I pressed the pistons out of the cylinders after
soaking it with Kroil, ATF, etc. It just wouldn't break free entirely. Once I got the pistons out, I was amazed at how little corrosion was holding the pistons.

It doesn't take much to fill .005 worth of clearance.

Dave