Re: [MV] Split braking system; some considerations.

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 09:53:36 PST

Ken,
I don't want anybody to think that I'm being critical of Tom's braking
system, for one thing I don't know anything about it. I like experimental
stuff, I do (and say) dumb things all the time, but that is how we learn,
usually by being corrected by other people.

I have experimented with my brakes, too. I separated the brake lines to the
right and left duals and installed an electrical brake lock from a 5-ton
wrecker on one side. By locking one side of the truck's wheels (rear), I was
able to reduce the turning radius somewhat. There is still more work to be
done here, a lot of variables involved. I may be wrong, but I believe that
the 10 ton trucks have this kind of braking ability as a standard feature.

There is a difference between redundancy and just adding parts to a system.
Adding more parts reduces the reliability. Having a completely separate
system backing up the first, adds reliability (the hand brake can be
considered such a back up).

Regards,
Bjorn