RE: [MV] Split braking system; some considerations.

From: Buzzard (buzz@ebuzzard.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 15:15:52 PST

> Also, has anyone ever experienced total brake loss with the
> deuce?
[Buzzard]
Yep, I had an M211 that had a complete failure. The wheel cylinder was
so pitted with rust that the fluid all leaked out. I was going down the
road at about 40 MPH and went right through an intersection (thankfully
it was clear) with my horn blaring. From there I went into a gravel
parking lot and did a massive powerslide to bring the truck to a rest.
My wife and 3 kids were in the cab of the truck at the time. I was very
lucky.

I'm quite meticulous with the brakes since then and take no chances.

You are right, by the way, the parking brake is ONLY for parking.

The M211 has an automatic transmission so downshifting to slow was
rather unproductive.

-=-