Kroil Follow up and Brake Q

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 18:29:14 PST

I've ordered the regular Kroil and was wondering: for those of you who
recommended placing some in each piston prior to trying to turn over/start
the old gas engine how much would you put in each cylinder? A tablespoon? A
teaspoon? I'm going to go with draining and replacing the oil, and putting
Kroil in the cylinders a couple of days before trying to start it.

#2: I've got my emergency brake ( I mean Parking brake, tho the manual
avoids such distinctions by simply calling it the 'hand brake' ) back
together. This truck has the 'old' style handgrip which you pull up to
parallel to the cab floor to engage it. It pulls tight ( I will have a
friend pull it this weekend while I'm underneath to make sure the pads
really are engaging ), however I've used all of the adjustment on the
spline in the cab. I see the other end might have a bolt holding it to the
activator lever on the drive train: assuming I can get tools on it is it
proper / safe to tighten that end as well? TM 9-8022 does not address this.
Or was I seeing things? No adjustable nut up there on top of the activator
assembly on the drive train?

#3: Does anyone have a reference for a Bay Area or West Coast source for 4
batteries? I'd like to replace the two 12 volt batteries in there now as
they look like they came from Honda Civics.. or motorcycles <g>

#4: This vehicle was modified about 1970 as far as I can tell. A member of
the organization which tries to preserve fire fighting vehicles says it's
not in his logs from the sole company out here which did such conversions
and feels fairly strongly that the local county did the conversion
themselves. The county employee who is responsible for such records failed
to return phone calls for over a month, then when he actually answered his
phone this week said 'oh, if it's THAT old we have no records on it'. The
county fire department keeps all of its own records.
Might anyone have a suggestion on any other ways to try to track some of
the the history of this vehicle down?

        Thanks for the advice.

        Paul
        '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion