M35 park brake: let me clarify

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 20:17:09 PST

I don't want to be misunderstood. I don't think the park brake on the M35
or any other vehicle is to be used for any reason but to park. HOWEVER:

I have used the park brakes in a number of vehicles to stop the vehicle. In
the 80's I didn't have a real big maintenance budget, so at times my
automobiles had questionable brakes. None, and I repeat none of them had a
park brake that really stopped the auto very good. At best they would lock
the back tires and leave some really cool marks on the pavement, but they
didn't slow the vehicle well. The park brake in the deuce worked better
than any other I have had to use.

I believe, based on one experience, that the park brake in my deuce will do
a very good job of slowing/stopping the vehicle. There is something to
consider:

When I used my park brake for emergency braking, it burned quite well. I
could smell it in the cab. I'm sure it wore the shoes a great deal. It may
even have stressed the metal parts. There isn't much shoe there anyway.

If total brake failure occurs, what are you going to do? If you plan to
stop the vehicle and then repair it or have it towed, getting stopped one
time is all you need to do. If the park brake will work as a back up for
one good stop, you have a working back up plan. It doesn't have to work but
once for this plan to work. If it is damaged in the process it can be
repaired as well. If that is too costly a plan then consider the
alternative (I don't have an alternative, I just thought that sounded
right).

After having total brake failure and using my park brake to stop, I drive
with confidence I can safely stop my truck. I'm suggesting the park brake
as a back up for the normal brakes, never a substitute. Keep your normal
brakes in top working order. Don't put yourself in a position to fail
because your too lazy to check the fluid. Don't put off repairs until you
have had total failure.

Drive your truck, use the park brake for parking, but if your headed for a
bus full of Nuns and children and your brakes fail, grab your park brake
lever and pull the snot out of it.

That's all folks,
Joe Trapp