Re: [MV] Split braking system; some considerations.

From: Jim & Pat Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 19:00:38 PST

Hi David and Listers;

I had a wheel cylinder on the M-715 give out while I was out running
around. Being a single master cylinder system, the pedal just went to the
floor with an alarming thud. After the initial shock (seemed like a couple
of minutes of terror) I got to thinking again. The truck is geared so low
that just taking your foot off the accelerator has the same affect as
braking moderately. I down shifted to the next lower gear when needed and
very carefully eased the clutch out. Once in second gear, I was faced with
coming to a full stop and very carefully pulled on the hand brake, easing
the truck to a stop. The hand brake was not very happy about this but
stopped me OK. I drove home through traffic this way, being very careful
to leave plenty of space between me and the car ahead. The truck handled
this way pretty well and got me home without any disasters. What had
caused the failure turned out to be one of the wheel cylinder push rods
that extends the brake shoe. It split an ear off one side which allowed
the cup seal to float instead of push against the shoe. Once I fixed the
wheel cylinder, I had to adjust the hand brake ring as it had a surprising
amount of wear for the short time I had used it. It did the job but like I
say, it wasn't happy about it.

Remember, be careful out there (especially with a Deuce or bigger) # 8^O

Jim(KB4IVH)
MVPA#17216