Re: [MV] Radios for HUMV needed

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 22:54:34 PST

At the prices of such gear, be sure you get a written/faxed guarantee on that radio. A reputable dealer won't mind doing that.

A customer of mine bought a 'working' GRC106 from one of the large vendors to remain un-named, and it was a junker with a bad freq. standard (almost unobtainable) and MHz synth in the RT, and a bad
servomotor in the amplifier. The vendor refused to do anything, said they could not do anything about it.

Now he is paying me to fix it, and it is not cheap. But it will seem very cheap indeed compared to the repair cost on a SINGARS set, assuming parts are available.

There are entirely too many radios being sold by vendors large and small as 'working', when they have defects. eBay is notorious for this also. I suppose that for some vendors, 'working' means
'working properly' when you are buying, and 'it lit up and made some noise but no smoke came out' when you are selling.

Just my $0.02, after seeing this nice customer who is also a National Guardsman and a Ham get ripped off.