CUCVs and M1010s and the Bonneville Land Speed Record

From: Ronzo (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 04:52:48 PST

...not in danger of falling to my M1010.

    I recently purchased a VERY, VERY nice M1010 from the RAMster in
Vermont. It runs like a top, albeit a very low geared top.
    Some questions for this esteemed list:

    1)Is there a separate CUCV list/group on the web like the G503 site?

    2) I will be joining the 6.2 l engine group (sorry to those already on
it). Any others of merit out there?

    3) Is there a military ambulance/hospital group out there?

    4) Has anyone on the list (or that you know of) gone the re-gearing
route of the front and rear differential for higher top end/highway speed?
How expensive? Pit falls?

    5)How about the auxiliary overdrive route?

    6) The manual says 55 as max speed, and the way the engine howls at that
speed, I believe it. I have been told if I wish to go faster than that, I
should bring a shovel,a broom and several boxes to put the pieces in.
Anecdotal comments? Real life experience? 'There I was...' service stories?

    The truck is such a cream puff that I would like it to become a daily
driver. However I find it a bit disconcerting to have to spend more time
watching the mirrors to avoid being run down by over taking traffic than
watching the rapidly receding traffic in front of me. Hell, I was passed by
a Murry lawn tractor yesterday, and it WASN'T on a trailer.... The local
school crossing guard doesn't even bother to hold up the STOP sign when the
kids are in the crosswalk and he sees me coming up the road.

    Ronzo