Re: [MV] CUCVs and M1010s and the Bonneville Land Speed Record

From: J. D. Bowen (oreuc@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 08:45:02 PST

> 5)How about the auxiliary overdrive route?

You could go a Gear Vendors overdrive that's a bolt-on
behind the transfer case and would require shortening
the rear drive shaft. Fairly expensive around $2500
for the gear box alone, if I recall, but it's supposed
to be strong and would allow keeping the equally
strong TH400. A built 700R4 would get you to approx
the same overdrive ratio for less money if you really
have a need for speed.

I have upped the tire size on my M1008 to a 285 which
gives a bit of overdrive. It seems fairly
comfortable, engine wise, at an indicated 60 plus the
adjustment for speedo error.

I can also say from experience with a Civvy '88 6.2
3/4 ton Suburban with 4.10 gears that this is a pretty
good compromise (same trans/transfer as the CUCV) for
road speed and pull. The Sub does have an insulator
pad under the hood and floor pad which helps on the
racket.

J. D.