Re: [MV] M1008, M1028, M1031 and M1010s at speed

From: tedhils (tedhils@cyber-south.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 09:33:55 PST

    Of course it will. ALL engines wear faster at a higher RPM than a lower
one.
    However, I doubt that too many drivers worry about the gas engine in
their car wearing out quicker when they're on the interstate and have to
drive 75 to keep from getting run over by other traffic. They slightly
increased wear is the price we pay to keep up with other vehicles.
    What I'm trying to do is ease people's mind about is the fact that IF
they want to drive faster, they will NOT blow their 6.2.
    Oh, also, the difference in wear is NOT dramatic. A diesel engine run
at 1800 RPM will go longer than one run at 3600 RPM before needing to be
rebuilt, but not that much longer. And definitely not twice as long as
would seem logical. As long as regular maintenance is done so that old oil
doesn't block ports, good fuel is used, etc., etc. and proper lubrication is
preserved, the difference in life of the engine is minor.
Ted

Ted Hils
Ted's Trucks 'N Stuff
Rural Route 2 Box 66H