Re: [MV] glowplugs

From: Michael J. Hill (wild800@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 22:31:53 PST

Hi Bryan and list,

The Glow plugs are 13G in the AC Delco flavor. I believe the the other
item is the resistor pack. Off the top of my head ( I can't seem to find
my manual(s) right now !?!?) you should be getting around 11VDC on the
Line side of the glow plug relay. Someone please correct if needed. The
following is a quote from a product engineer from Wellman about the glow
plug system:

"The cycle in which these plugs operate is as follows; when the
ignition switch is turned to the first position the plugs are energized
(wait light comes on) @ about 11 to 11.5 volts. The plugs will remain
on (wait light remains on) for about 7-15 seconds depending on the
ambient temperature. Please remember that if the truck does not start
after the first starting cycle, you need to allow the glow plugs to cool
for about 2 minutes before trying to start it again. If you try to
start it again immediately you run a very high risk of burning out the
glow plugs. Also at very low temperatures, the controller will pulse
the glow plugs on and off after the engine has started.

Please keep in mind that this vehicle operates using a 24 volt
electrical system. The glow plugs operate at about 12 volts due to
dropping resistors built into the glow plug management system. So some
of the other electrical components may operate at 24 volts. Just keep
that in mind."

I hope this helps.

Mike Hill EMT-1
Kilo Golf Six Foxtrot Juliet Indians