WD-40 (was:Re: [MV] Cold weather starting aids)

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 06:51:26 PST

>... A few years back I
>tried the trick and it doesn't work anymore. I guess the folks at wd-40 got
>tired of kids using the stuff for a flame thrower and changed the formula.
>I liked it because it didn't seem to hurt the engine.

Well, I have not been saying anything to you folks that keep saying that
WD40 makes a good starting fluid. I mean, yes it did, I used it myself. But
then I and others noticed that it didn't work anymore, this was several
years ago, perhaps 3 or 4 even. I was at a trade show and the WD-40 people
had a booth there so guess what I asked them? Their answer was that because
of Kalifornia's environmental laws they had to remove the volatile component
of the propellant and there was no point in having two seperate product
lines so they changed it for everyone. Had nothing to do with safety just
satisfying someone's idea that we're going to save the planet, allegedly.....

je