Fuel Economy

From: Michael Goodden (mgmv@auroragroup.co.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 05:55:28 PST

Hi All

I've so far compiled the following options of assisting with fuel
economy on an M35, but expect them all to fit with the 5-ton's as well:

Item Approx % improvement of fuel
economy
1) Lock-out Hubs 10-20%
2) Super Single Tyres 5-10%
3) Removal of rear prop shaft - this is the temporary unbolting of the
prop-shaft between the middle and rear axle so that only the middle axle
is driving for highway use. 30-50% (or possibly even greater)
4) Magnetic Fuel Ioniser Unknown for a multi-fuel engine, on a
normal diesel an improvement of approx 20% can be seen

Would the installation of an exhaust muffler assist? In a normal
vehicle the muffler does actually help the fuel economy but I'd be
interested to know if anyone has experience of this on the trucks?

My M35 truck has an engine from a 5 ton truck (kicking out 205bhp!!!)
and currently does approx 10-12mpg so with the above improvements I
should be able to get somewhere between 18mpg to 24mpg when driving on a
highway.

Does anyone have any other ideas or options on improving the fuel
economy?

Many thanks
Mike
Michael Goodden