Engine Block Heaters 6.2-6.5L Diesel Engine Families

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 16:15:06 PST

     Now that cold weather is upon us, a question arose about what type of
engine block heater is needed. Mainly I'm referring to the 6.2-6.5L diesel
engines in the CUCV, Humvee and other series. This info is good for other
engines as well. Most all civilian models have factory installed "block"
heaters which is a small "calrod" unit that fits nicely into one of the
freezeout plug holes. There is a power cord with a 3-prong plug that
usually comes out of the grill. This is probably the best and most
effective device to use. I plug mine into a 100 foot extension cord on cold
nights and engine starts as easy as on a summer morning and the heater in
the cab starts putting out heat in about 30-45 seconds. Engine also is less
noisy too. Make sure your extension cord is AT LEAST a 12-3 gauge and even
better is a 10-3 cord. (Extension cords are not expensive anymore-OR you
can make your own with good materials) If you really want an effective
heater in colder climates, you could install one on each side of a V8 engine
and I guarantee no starting problems!! This is what they do in Alaska and
it is very common to find outlets installed on parking meters.

     The heater(s) saves batteries, engine wear and certainly the starter
motor itself. There are several other types but the most common of the
others is a "tank heater" and a "dipstick" style. The tank heater is a unit
that splices (usually) into the lower radiator hose. It is also effective
with a similar calrod unit but if the thermostat is closed, can somewhat
hinder heat circulation but isn't a real problem. What you want is to keep
the engine coolant warm within the block which aids the whole engine. The
heater should be in the lowest possible position in DIRECT CONTACT with the
coolant.

     The latter is the "dipstick" style which I DO NOT recommend. Although
usually cheap, it is NOT an effective style and is a false sense of actually
helping the engine. Without thinking, they seem like a good idea but they
are not by themselves. They could be used in conjunction with other heaters
but are not really necessary. They are usually made somewhere offshore, use
cheap materials and create a "hot spot" that does nothing to keep the engine
block or even the coolant warm to any degree. All they will do is keep a
small area of oil warm which does NOT facilitate cranking the engine which
is what you really want. Also I wonder if one became defective while in use
if it would burn the oil in a spot. They have to be made flexible to
conform to all of the bends in the dipstick holder. (which could possibly
short out a portion of it) SO if someone calls you a "dipstick" like on The
Dukes of Hazard, it might be for a reason! (doesn't do anything!)

     The gov't made an artic kit for CUCV's for use in sub frigid climates.
If you have one of these you know how complicated they are. They involved
oil pans for both engine and transmission with tubes running through them to
heat the oil, changing out parts in the heater core system and many other
parts to include modifying the body too. Would take one man about 3 or more
days to install one if he knew what he was doing. I considered one when
available several years ago but the only thing I used was the underhood
blanket that mounts under the hood like the civvies. If you have any
maintenance to do on engine or tranny, the kit would hinder any kind of work
involved and is always in the way of everything.

Your Jeep, CUCV and Humvee nut, Julian Burke