M-1009 Transmission Problem

From: Ed Kirkley (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 16:21:03 PST

This just isn't my weekend! I was coming home in my M-1009 when it stopped
going under power and started coasting. No loud sounds, no burning smells
it just started coasting. The transmission fluid is bright red and is up to
the full mark. The drive shafts are in place but the truck will not move in
any gear, the engine just races. Also if the engine is running and you try
to put the gearshift into park you get that awful grinding sound. You can
only put the transmission into park with the engine off and then it won't
hold the truck you have to use the parking brake.

Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking? I've had automatic
transmissions go out before but they always gave hints. Burnt smells, dirty
fluid, slipping gears, etc. but this one just stopped working!

Thanks in advance,

Ed