Spartan CVR(T) Fuel tank replacement project

From: Rob Craig (therobincraig@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 20:40:07 PST

A few weeks ago I was invited to help a friend of mine effect the change from a floor mount OEM fuel tank to an aftermarted fuel cell sourced from the UK. The aim of the project was two fold, the original tank was proving to be suspect in the perfect (or purrfect since its a Jag engine) set up of the Spartan running. The second was to free up floor space in the vehicle which is dominated by the tank.

A new tank was sourced from th UK from "Plastimo" I believe, IIRC. The new tank was to be mounted on top of the sponson on the left side of the vehicle just aft of the drivers station, to the left of the commanders station. Once the new tank arived I was tasked, as the welder and fabricator to make the appropriate mount using the existing mounting holes only, as nothing was to be done to deface the vehicle, thereby allowing any future owner to retrofit all the original components should they wish, as if my mate would ever sell this anyway!!!

I'm very glad I did not work from the supplied drawings and fab up a mount in my shop. Instead, after getting a twinge down my spine and after many years of experience I decided to travel down to my mates place and fab on site within six feet of the Spartan.This was the best move I made, as we ended up with such a supperior job, and it fitted first time. That was after copious test fits at each stage as we progressed, as each modification or change in desg concept has a domino effect. We have found a way to rehabilitate the original commanders seat into the new mount, but my mate doesnt seem to want to use it for his own reasons.

Suffice it too say the new mount, now painted to match the hull interior could have been an original equipment fit if you didnt now better. I will not be giving step by step measured details here as it will be irrelevant to most people. If anyone tries something like this, a couple of words of caution, always make sure any mountings allow for chaffing in use. We used 1" by 1/8" neoprene sourced locally on all contact points of the frame to the hull and the tank to the frame.

I do have some nice slides whic I can make into prints should anyone need them, contact me off line.

rgds Robin Craig