Re: [MV] Looking for a flak jacket

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 22:17:09 PST

To echo what Ryan said, there is a big difference between a "flak vest"
(also called "frag vest" or "splinter vest") and a Bulletproof Vest (also
called "bulletresistant vest", which is more accurate). The former is
fairly standard issue for combat troops and is specifically designed to
protect the soldier from the most common threat of death on the
battlefield... splinters from shells, grenades, or other sources. They
are not designed to stop a bullet, although incidentally they have a
limited ability to do this in optimal circumstances.

A Bulletproof vest is something that is not issued to the rank and file
soldier. It is instead something issued in special circumstances. These
vests are more simlar to the ones used by law enforcement. They are made
out of ballistic resistant plates which can at least offer decent
protection from some kinds of bullet hits. Depends on the type of vest,
bullet, weapon used, range, etc. Unlike Hollywood films, the wearer
usually needs a trip to a hospital even if the vest stops the bullet from
penetrating the skin. Kenetic energy has a way of making itself known
one way or another :-)

The big difference here, besides application, is price. You can buy
surplus frag vests for $40-80, depending on what type it is, condition,
and of course seller. Bulletproof vests go for several hundred dollars,
depending on how much protection is offered, design, manufacturer, and of
course seller.

Steve