[MV] 6.2 Block Heaters...CUCV, etc.

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 06:39:27 PST

I finally went to a tank heater, running it from an extra port
off the water pump, up into a Y with the heater
core feed, off the water crossover manifold.
Just be sure that the heater is installed low with respect to the pump
and that it has a one way ball valve. Its flow should be counter
to the normal flow of the vehicle heater core.
I mounted mine between the radiator and battery one.
The thing is much easier to get at if it needs servicing and at -20, that
counts.

I did the block core plug heater thing last year, wasn't easy getting that
core plug out,
and that was the easy one to get at with the motor in.
The heater shorted out the following spring and also developed a small leak
as well.
I removed and repluged it.

A thought to all......I took the general advice and am running 15W40
rotella oil.
Seems that many do, and all year round.
I have found that below about +10 to 20F that motor gets pretty hard to turn.
My loader ran the 15W40 as well and with a block heater, it to was a tough
turner so it
isn't just CUCV motors.

I recomend a good 10W30 when the average air temp starts getting below about
+25F. As mentioned in another email, hot water is great, but that oil is
still pretty cold and thick down there and how far do you really want to go
with extra heaters and the like.
Its made a BIG difference with all our Diesel machines.
I switch back to 15W40 during the warmer months.

Did some research and found that the "POUR POINT" of 15W40 is about +10F
with 10W30 being about -20F or there abouts: consistent with what I
actually experienced during the winters with engine cranking.

Just had -5F this AM.

With my $.002, stay warm all! :)

Ted.