M135 Transmission leak

From: Sean Raymond (sean.raymond@securenet.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 20:37:27 PST

Hi all,

Tonight I started the removal of the automatic transmission on my
M135 that I bought last week to take care of a major leak comming from the
transmission input shaft. I suspect a seal and I don't know if the previous
owner topping off with ATF fluid had anithing to do with it.

So far, I have removed all rods, drive shaft, exaust, rear support beam etc.
And unbolted the bell housing from the motor. But when I try and pull
the tranny back all I got is about a 1/4 inch separation. I was
expecting it to seperate just like a clutch assembly would leaving
the tork converter on the engine but no such luck.

Must I undo all the bolts between the the starter ring and or the
other half of the tork converter? Or am I simply out of alignement
while supporting the transmission and therfore can't break them apart
because of friction on the shaft??? Before pulling too hard on it I
was hoping somebody could confirm that I have completed the disassembly
and that I do or don't need to undo the many small bolts all around the tork
converter.

Thanks to all, any help would be appreciated

Sean