Re: [MV] WTB CUCV parts! Tan Cargo Cover for M-1008A1 and Blazer Tailgate?

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 06:24:54 PST

I gave up looking for my M1009 tailgate, and thought I would just go down to
the local junkyard and buy a used civilian tailgate, then repaint it to
match... But, to find a tailgate with glass (extremely few of these even in
junkyards) that was tinted (so it would match the rest of the glass) was
almost impossible. I spent several weeks calling every junkyard in the
Phoenix AZ area, and I was only able to find two tailgates with glass
intact - the first one I saw had severely scratched glass, the second one I
found had literally just been taken off the wrecker... after a lot of
wheeling and dealing, I finally talked them out of it and I have a tailgate
(with glass) for my M1009...

My recommendation for a source? Call every junkyard you can to see if they
have the tailgate, and race down and buy the first one that's moderately
decent.... or get used to on open truck! Since the glass sticks out
slightly even when the it's rolled down, it was frequently broken. Also, if
the glass was missing, or the window seals old and cracked, water would pool
up inside the bottom of the tailgate and rust it out... so even junkyard
vehicles are often missing good tailgates. Also, don't forget that a
complete tailgate comes in at least three parts - 1. the shell, 2. the
window, and 3. the crank mechanism and window regulator. Often, each of
these will cost about the same, and every "good deal" I found on new parts
seemed to be missing at least 1 of these components (and would be about 1/3
less in price, at least initially)..
Good luck,
Nathan Wilkens