Re: [MV] M151A2 Exhaust Manifold leaking

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 10:33:25 PST

Bones, I was working under an old 49 chevy pickup truck once and my cousin walked
into the shop. Recognizing his voice when he greeted me, I said "Hello Bob" and he
asked me what I was doing. I said "aw....I'm putting on an oil pan gasket and I
couldn't find any gasket shellac. He said "well, I know why your whistling?", I said
"why's that?" He said "to keep from crying". Ever try tying on a pan gasket with
thread and get everything to line up? After several attempts, I took it back out and
tied every hole. It'll work but you need patience and whistling on occasion. Gasket
sealers weren't as common then as they are now days. Yesterday, I put together a
transfer case for son's chevy truck and opened a new tube of silicon RTV (room
temperature vulcanizing) . It had a skate key enclosed with it. After studying it a
little, I determined that it was to wind the tube up with as you used it. Got a lot
neater bead with that method.

Military content: I just dug out an old OD mil gen set that I'd stashed years ago
and just now looking at again. Heres what the plates read; Signal Corps, Power
unit, PE-108-B. Also, Pioneer Gen-E-Motor Generator. The control unit on it reads
mfd by The Hallicrafters Co., Chicago, Illinois. It has two 5/16" NC terminals on it
(for a battery start?) and a start button that looks like an old Ford dash starter
button from the 30s or 40s era. I had it running years ago and I think it put out
110 volts and about 5 amps. It has a toggle switch for hi and low power and a 7 pin
connector w/ threads on it about 1 1/4" dia. It appeared a little weak in the horse
power department, like it was due for a rebuild or a valve job. Anyone know anything
about it? And, yes, I could sell it....if I'm tempted right. Email me....Fred,
southern Ohio