Re: [MV] Redneck

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 05:21:53 PST

The string on paint sure is bringing back some memories. My parents
suffered through the Depression and both learned how to stretch a dollar.
We were in the home heating oil and gasoline business, starting in the
forties. One of Pop's favorite tricks for tire blacking on the delivery trucks
was to thin down some black paint with gas. Old trucks looked good
after doing the tires with this blend. Don't bother getting into the ill
effects of applying gas to tires and the resulting dry rot. We ran tires,
whether dry or not, until the plys showed :)
Once, he had a farmer customer that insisted on having "red" gas, a
regular grade of gas that would put today's high test (premium) to
shame. Potent stuff. I only threw a half-cup of it onto a fire and am
scarred for life. Anyway, being in the middle of the petroleum shortage
after WWII, ole Pop loaded some white gas onto his truck and while
pumpin' it he poured about a quart of red paint in. Farmer swore is was
the best gas he ever used!
Joe Young