M-1009 Generator problem

From: Ed Kirkley (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 00:29:19 PST

Hello again list,

Today on the way into work my #2 generator light came on and stayed on. It
had flickered once last night but other than that no problems from the
system ever. The voltage indicator is now indicating at the bottom of the
green so something is wrong. The fan belts are fine, all are good and
tight. Everything electrical worked just fine on the way home tonight, (I
drive about 45 minutes each way), but that red light certainly is bright!

A few questions here, which one is the #2 generator? I seem to remember
that it's the one on the right side of the truck but I'm not certain. Which
battery does it charge? Does anyone have the civilian part number for the
generator? Are both generators the same? Is there anything special about
it that I can't just go to Auto Zone and turn it in as the core and get one
that has been rebuilt out of stock and install it?

Thank you all in advance for the help!

Ed