Re: [MV] B-17 History ?

From: jalberhasky@juno.com
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 06:42:23 PST

I do believe ( But not for sure) that what you are referring to was a
B-29 Super Fort and a few P-38 Lightenings that were abandoned on a
glacier in Greenland after a emergency landing in late ww2. Don't quote
me on this but.... I think the squadon got lost??? By the time they (
the aircraft) were found they were well over 100 feet under the ice. Hot
water ice boring machines were designed and used to reach them. They
were all brought to the surface. I think the B-29 was rebuilt and was
the one that burned to the ground on a runway a number years back because
a APU overheated in the rear fuseage.??? I watched the news on TV
showing it burning up. I think it was getting ready for its maiden test
flight. What a drag!!! I am not sure about the 38's. They had all
been crushed badly by the ice mass. They are worth a small fortune since
very few survived the scrap pile after WW2. The last time one was
auctioned it went for millions of $$$. Jeff
On Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:05:08 EST Recovry4x4@aol.com writes:
> Matbe there is a better list to ask but since I belong to thos one,
> here
> goes. I had heard a story a few years back, maybe more, about a
> group
> locating 5 B-17s under a bunch of ice in maybe Greenland. Probably
> an urban
> legend but the tale was told of the group core drilling down to the
> aircraft,
> dissassembling them, raising them and flying them off the ice. Can
> anybody
> confirm or deny if there is any thuth to this? Anybody have any
> documented
> stories about any kind of incredible finds like this? Can't pass up
> ressurection story!
>
> Kenneth Engle
> Loxahatchee, FL U.S.A.
> AM General M-35A2 w/w
> Fruehauf M105A1
> MVPA #24371
> http://hometown.aol.com/recovry4x4/myhomepage/photo.html

> <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

Jeff Alberhasky aka . SGT. ROCK MVPA 25554
US ARMY/USAR 25J/76Y 73-93
1985 AM General M-35A2
1968 M-105A1
2000 FXDL 1975 XL (1986 AMRA UBXL National record holder)