Re: [MV] B-17 History ?

From: John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 07:04:11 PST

Two arctic adventures.

First, the Lost Squadron was two B17's and 4 P38's which went down due to
lack of fuel on a glacier. After multiple recovery efforts, the last team
found a B17 that was ground to bits and went for the P38, which flew for the
first time since WWII on October 26th 2002. It's appraised value is 8
million, so I'd be looking for more expeditions in the future.

Second, the Kee Bird, a B29, was landed on a frozen lake. An expedition was
put together by Daryl Greenamyer, with the plan to fly it out. As stated,
they got it running and ready to take off, and it was burned up by a leaking
gas can hanging over an APU.

There are still numerous un-recovered WWII aircraft around the world.

If interested in these sorts of things, have a look at
http://www.astory.com/forgottenfield