Re: [MV] B-17 History ?

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 04:06:57 PST

Mike....seems like I'm recalling that the planes were down about two hundred
feet under the ice. To me....that would be an incredible feat in
itself....getting all that stuff up from those depths. Looks like the ice
would have crushed it to pieces. PBS had another story about a plane that
went down in the Andies in S. America in the late forties. They couldn't find
it....but in recent years they found parts of it coming out of the lower end
of a glacier. Took about 50 years to traverse through the glacier. I can
recall my uncle George telling about after WW2 was over at the base where he
was stationed (somewhere in Alaska or Yukon Territory)....they took
bulldozers and dug big long trenches and buried most all of the equipment
that they didn't need....just more expense to bring it home.. I used to have
a postman friend that drove a wrecker in Alaska during his time in the Army.
He told me that in the winter time you could never get the thing past second
gear because of the cold. Looks like they would have thinned the oil in the
trans/diff with some diesel, huh? Any old timers care to comment on this? A
few war stories mixed in with the MV's shouldn't hurt....might catch some
young kids fascination and head him down the OD highway....or the haze gray
highway....being that I'm ex-navy. Fred
former shipmate
USS Alamo LSD-33
USS Harwood DDE-861
USS Arcadia AD-23
USS Shenandoah AD-26
USS Piper SS-409 ( daily operations)....neat....but no thanks!