Running out of Diesel

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 17:01:17 PST

     Pretty much of everything I own is a diesel. Running out of diesel
fuel is not a pretty sight at your moment of need, and certain procedures
have to be followed when you do. First, I DO NOT recommend "inflating" the
fuel tank and nowhere have I ever seen such a procedure "in the books".
Inflating ANY fuel tank to more than 4 psi is a dangerous thing and as I
understand it, 5 psi or more is all that is necessary to either rupture or
severely damage most tanks.

     Most owners' manuals should cover this procedure if you do run out of
fuel. All Mercedes have a hand pump installed in the injector pump which
you unscrew and pump and it will take right off. My 6.5 Chevrolet has a
bleed valve on the top of the engine in which you open it and just turn on
the ignition and the "lift pump" (new term for a electric fuel pump) will
pump fuel to it. Other Chevrolets with mechanical fuel pumps have the same
vaIve somewhere else under the hood but you crank the engine with the valve
open.

     I have a new Isuzu NPR and when changing the fuel filter, couldn't get
it to hit a lick after it started and died after changing the filter. It
also has a built in manual pump in the injector which I vigorously pumped to
no avail. What I learned is there is a screw on the injector pump painted
white that you open and pumping the manual pump will bleed the air out.
Took about 10 seconds after I learned the procedure by calling the dealer.
(I must have pumped that sucker for 1/2 hour prior to calling the dealer!)

     Most all have a simple procedure, most are the same, others are
covered in the manual, but knowing what to do will save a lot of starter and
battery! Learn how to do it now before it happens at a most inconvenient
time when your buddies are with you thinking you're the great mechanic!!!
Julian Burke