Re: [MV] A million and one (well, almost) questions

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 19:16:36 PST

Hi Doug,

Check the message archives for messages yesterday and the day before with
the title:

"Would like to buy a T-54 or T-34"

for some practical info about buying armor. To sum that thread up... you
had better have deep pockets and the correct mindset or you are just
asking for a bunch of trouble. Most people have enough problems with
wheeled, non armored stuff :-)

As for your questions in general, you need to narrow your focus a bit
more. Asking questions with wheeled and tracked vehicles in the same go
won't get you anywhere fast :-) Best thing to do is lurk and read every
vehicle related post that is made here. That is the best way to get a
sense of this hobby.

Here are some quick answers to your questions:

>What's the difference between a CCKW, M-135, M-35? Just different years
>of manufacture?

Much more complicated than that. Plus, there are different makers
involved within each designation which makes it rather impossible to sum
this up easily. I know I can't :-)

>Top speed of Humvee? Deuce and a half?

Don't know, but if you intend on using a MV for traveling, just be
prepared for it to take longer if the highway is involved compared to any
civilian vehicle made in the last 20 years. Depending on the MV's age
and reliability, also plan on not getting there at all!

>Can I own a tank in NJ?

I don't think there are any restrictions in any state, provided you have
all the paperwork.

>Are non-USA vehicles (tanks, trucks) available? Russian, German,
>British, etc?

Sure. Ironically, the US stuff is much harder to get a hold of if it is
armored and post WWII.

>Do I need to deal with the BATF?

Only if you purchase something with a functional weapon or directly
import anything with a deactivated weapon.

>What are the practical aspects of military vehicle ownership, such as:
>Storage?

Better have it! And if you want armor, you also better have a place to
use it (i.e. many acres of land that can be chewed up).

>Insurance?

Ranges from easy to impossible depending on what it is, how you intend on
using it, and the laws of your particular state.

>Maintenance? Are they hard to work on?

Ranges from same as a civi passenger vehicle (M-37, "Jeep", etc.) to a
quite a bit more involved (Deuce or heavier softskin, light armor like
Ferret) all the way to required full shop and several people available to
do just about anything (heavier armor, all tanks).

>Parts? Are they available?

Highly dependent on what it is, the vehicle, and your willingness to pay.
 Getting a transmission for a WWII Jeep might not be hard but expensive,
while finding a particular tiedown for a Soviet T-55 MBT might turn up 10
years later for $5.

>With rubber-faced tracks, can I run a tank on the road?

Generally, the answer is no. Either because your state won't allow it or
you can't get the propper paperwork to run it on a public way (license
plates and insurance). I have heard of some WWII US Half Track owners
who have been able to run theirs on the road legal, but I know in most
states it is out of the question.

>I have limited space to store any more vehicles on my property. Is it
>possible to pay for storage elsewhere (insurance question)?

Sure. Insurance is not required for storage. Problem is that if it goes
missing or is burned to the ground you are SOL.

>What about vehicle registration and inspection?

Again, dependent on what it is and how your state works (or doesn't).

>Is a tank or truck registered as a "historic" vehicle?

Forget about tanks, but some wheeled vehicles are able to be registered
as "Antique". However, there are serious usage restrictions which might
not be something you want to do.

>Any shows in the NW NJ area?

I am sure there is something within a few hours drive of your location.

>How much $$$ does new tires cost for a deuce and a half?

Dunno.

>I assume WWII Willy jeeps and Ford GPWs are pretty costly. Are M38's
>and M151 a lot less $$$?

Depends on condition, but generally yes.

>Books? I have "Tanks of the World" by David Miller and have "The
>Encyclopedia of Tanks and Armored Fighting Vehicles: The Comprehensive
>Guide to over 900 Armored Fighting Vehicles from 1915 to the Present
>Day" by Christopher F. Foss and "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles" by Fred
>W. Crismon on order. Any other good reference books?

Crismon's companion book "US Military Tracked Vehicles" is a good one.
 Otherwise, you should be all set for basic info. After you narrow down
your interest you can go for more in depth books.

Good luck!

Steve