Re: [MV] Fifi and parts vendors versus collectors

From: Steve & Jeanne Keith (cckw@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 05:00:31 PST

RE Macho thing:

I had a real problem a number of years ago with a B17 (Memphis Bell maybe?)
that they spent all kinds of money on, new engines etc so that they (macho)
could fly it to a museum!

What a waste of parts! Those parts could be used by other flying B17s so
that they could travel around the country and thousands could see and hear
them.

To me, that B17 should have been disaassembled and trucked to its new
location and fixed up as necessary to be presentable for display. It will
never fly again and it was criminal to use up scarce parts on it!

Required HMV content: Many people enter the HMV hobby and just pass thru.
Others like RAM and myself for example will be here till we die.

One thing that I have observed is that some people start out as collectors
and decide to suppliment their income/obsession by selling parts. I usually
recommend against doing this to newbys. Many (too many) HMV collectors I
know have stopped collecting HMVs because of the need/want to sell parts. I
will die poor with lots of HMVs and parts....

Steve AKA Dr Deuce