Re: [MV] gasoline for tanks?

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 20:32:59 PST

Because 20 years before that gasoline was a waste
product!! The couldn't give it away, it was a
by-product of the "high quality lubricant extraction
process" which was what they were really after at that
time. There were diesel engines but not many, the
neccessity wasn't there.

Most people don't have a feel for the state of
technology that the common man lived with in the years
just before that war.

In 1942 the US Army was still buying horse drawn
wagons, the German army still had horse cavalry. My
copy of the 1939 Signal Corps Manual has horse mounted
messengers listed along with the instructions on how
to handle Carrier Pigeons and where to set up the
roost box. My 1943 Carpentry Manual has an
illustration of a man using a Broad Ax to square a
beam! And he's wearing his steel pot and canteen.
How many 1943 farm tractors have you seen that had
steel wheels? And how many new recruits walked to the
induction station, not because they didn't have a car,
but because that was how it ws normally done then? At
that time most people lived close to their job because
they walked to work. Hardly anyone had a TV set, and
most couldn't afford a radio. My grandparents sure
couldn't! They were still farming with a team of
horses! Yes, "they" is correct, my grandmother plowed
with a team of mules, she was a little over 5' tall.

The Erie Railroad ran a car called a Doodlebug from
this town to the town 14 miles away to collect the
locals to go work at Acme Electric in Cuba, NY. It
was a bus that ran on the rail line. How'd you like
to find one of those in a junk yard?

Joe