Re: [MV] Police Work .02 worth

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 00:33:45 PST

At 8:56 PM -0600 1/7/03, Rikk Rogers wrote:
>Many years ago, while studying Law Enforcement at Northern Oklahoma College
>it was made solidly clear to our class of future Wannabe's that a citizen,
>faced with an illegal arrest, IS justified in using deadly force to resist.
>While I don't like the idea of "flying off the handle" and shooting someone.
>Nor, the idea of "nuts with guns" blasting away for no reason.

A very valid concern that cops should have. They should also realize
that another cop may do the same thing to them. I of course also
realize the same thing with my actions.

>Knowing full well that the guy across the table may well "justifiably" blow
>your head off, does tend to cause just a bit more along the line of polite.
>Over all, this looks like a training issue.

Hmm, I wonder if they teach that in Atlanta. I've been handled quite
politely by the cops there.

>MV's anyone?

Given the current political climate, this seems to bear into MV's
quite closely really. I'm out in Texas and I visited with one of the
Ferret owners out here. He related an account that was Pre-911 where
a cop pulled him, a friend and his daughter over in his ferret. His
friend was driving and he had a dummy MG in the turret. The cop
approached the Ferret with his hand on his gun asked for license and
errata from the guy in the turret. Naturally the cop walked away with
out the details from the guy in the driver's seat.

Just because they're a cop, have a badge, went through all the
training and have the piece means they're running on all cylinders
when they approach you in your MV's. The Police need to be supported
when they're right and beaten senseless (metaphorically) when they're
wrong. They're here for us, not for themselves.

One of the most interesting things I've heard in the news recently is
that an officer here in DFW, burst into a convenience store with a
balaclava/mask on and in plain clothes with a gun drawn. She was
trying to arrest a drug suspect. Guess what, the store's owner shot
her. Go figure. I'd have done the same thing.

--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '43 Humber MkIV (1/2)