Re: [MV] USA

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 08:32:21 PST

RAM wrote:

> Sort of like when people call our country America....
>when it fact we are only a small part of North America, to wit, The United
>States of America... Canadians are Americans, Mexicans are Americans, as
>are the people in Central and South America.

When the rest of the world decides to stop calling people from the US
"Americans" and people from Canada "Canadians" and people from Mexico
"Mexicans", etc. I'll be more than happy to start calling myself whatever
they agree upon (provided it isn't something like "A**HOLEs" <g>). Until
then, I am an American as far as I and the rest of the world are concerned :-)

>When Canada and Mexico become
>the 51st and 52 States (only hypothetical at this point) can we say we are
>the United States of North America... RAM

Even that wouldn't be correct, since you are leaving out Hondorus, El
Salvador, Panama, Costa Rica, Guatamala, Nicaragua, and Belieze (all off
the top of my head so I might have missed one). ANd then we are
technically only North Americans since to be "American" we would also
have to include all the countries of South America.

Steve