Re: [MV] Halftrack Weight

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 19:45:05 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Baker, George R. - Eastman" <grbaker@eastman.com>

> I guess what I'm asking is can I pull it with a Chevy 3500 Dually?
>

> WEIGHT: Net @ 15,100 lbs......Payload @ 4,500 lbs......Gross @ 19,600 lbs.
> Taken from TM9-2800 October 1947. Jim Wiehe , VA3JHW j.wiehe@sympatico.ca

I have been pulling a small track-hoe on a tandem axle trailer with a couple
of trucks for the past few weeks, so let me give you some advise.

Chevy 3500? No.

Ford 350? Yes.

Ok that's all the jokes, here's the real deal.

You need 4 tires. I don't think anybody makes a tandem trailer with single
tires that will do the job. I have a 9 ton trailer with two dual tire axles
and it's huge and heavy. The trailer I have been using the last few weeks
is a 5 ton with two single tire axles. The 8700 pound track-hoe has it at
it's limit.

You have to have trailer brakes. It's the law. With working trailer brakes
you can stop a huge load with a small truck. You have to keep them adjusted
properly for the load on the trailer.

You have to have the proper tongue weight. Too little and the truck with
sway dangerously at high speed. I have experimented with the placement of
the load on my trailer and if the load is just right the truck drives like
it is empty. If I have the load too far to the rear of the trailer I can't
hold it in the road. On a load that heavy behind a one ton truck you need a
goose neck trailer. You can put a great deal of weight over the axle which
is where you want it. You can put too much on the tongue too.

Pulling anything is a balancing act. If you get it right it's safe. If you
get it wrong it could get you killed.

For what it is worth, here in SC, I went to a DOT auction a few weeks ago
where they where selling a bunch of 10 ton tilt trailers. Most where ruff
looking, but would work well for the occasional MV move. They sold for
between $1000 and $2000. That's about as cheap as a 10 ton trailer gets.

As for the original question, in my humble opinion you should be able to
pull a load that heavy with a (dare I say it) CHEVY 3500 dually. Make sure
you have a good brake box and working trailer brakes. I have repaired many
magnets on trailers over the years. After moving so much the wire brakes.
Make sure the brakes work before you need them. Also at very least check
with the truck manufacturer and see what the truck is rated for. Your Chevy
dealer should be able to tell you if it is considered safe by the factory
and what they recommend for load displacement. If you have an accident and
you are following the manufactures recommendations, you can get their
lawyers involve too.

It's ashamed you can't get a "power stroke" in your truck.

Joe Trapp